For most, when we hear the word “AWOL”, we think someone has escaped or disappeared on purpose, generally pertaining to the military. AWOL is “Absent Without Official Leave” per military law. This is not a blog for or against the military, this analogy is only being used for purposes of understanding the concept of the acronym AWOL in the context that I have written.
Many of us go through several emotions during a difficult season and we do not know how to cope with what has been dealt, therefore, we too want to go “AWOL” (disappear, not ask permission, just simply disappear). All of us face struggles in life and desire to find that inner peace. So, let’s switch gears, what if we brought this negative acronym into a different perspective and opened our hearts and eyes to see things refreshingly anew. As a woman, what if you chose to be a woman that loves unconditionally, a woman that shows the love of Christ through all that you do? You’re probably thinking, what is she talking about, right? I am talking about the women of the world standing together and becoming an “AWOL Woman.”
What is an AWOL Woman? An AWOL Woman is a woman who goes through life struggles, either embarrassment, shame, hurt, rejection, abuse, denial, pride, bitterness, feeling invisible and even anger, yet she loves like Christ through it all. What separates her as she is climbing the mountain over any one of these emotional and physical struggles? The love of Christ. She is representing the message to others that people can see Christ in her heart and her actions. She isn’t a woman who is disappearing from the struggle, as much as she would like to, she doesn’t, she faces the struggle. Jesus faced many of the same struggles that we face. Jesus was betrayed by Judas, His disciple; Jesus was denied three times by Peter; abandoned by His followers; He was falsely accused and rejected by the Jewish leaders; He was mocked and abused by the Romans; His body was pierced with a spear, He was beaten, and shed His own blood as a sacrifice for OUR sins, OUR wrongs. Jesus was and is the pure love that we all should strive to be for others.
An AWOL Woman will fight through all the devil throws at her because her foundation is based on the love that is within her, she is a beautiful daughter of God, she is crowned with the love of Christ within her heart, she is A Woman of Love. I believe there is so much more to the soul that we need to go deeper into; reach the core behind the emotions that we feel and the reasons why we feel like disappearing. The depressed, the poor, the abandoned, the lonely, the rich and even those that “appear” happy, suffer. We all have felt one or more of these emotions.
Ladies, whatever you are going through it is my prayer that you focus on what is important and that is what God has for YOU and His LOVE for YOU.
Here are a few suggestions to begin your journey to being an AWOL Woman:
- Seek God first in all things. People can’t satisfy your need, people can’t heal your pain, people can’t resolve your struggle for you. The enemy comes to destroy you by your emotions, by your pain, and the struggles you are facing. God never said that this life for Christ was going to be easy, He said it would be worth it. It’s your eternal blessing. (Matthew 6:33-34, John 10:10)
- Seek to be a Proverbs woman. Speak with wisdom, kindness, love, and compassion. When you are struggling, and you want to isolate, disappear, or be held captive by your thoughts and the lies that the enemy feeds you, rebuke the enemy and love from your soul, from your heart. (Proverbs 31:26, Proverbs 31:30)
- Prepare your temple for the eyes of God. Wear appropriate clothing that is with integrity and character, honoring God. Exercise, get off the couch and stop being lazy. Your body will eventually deteriorate, by you staying stagnant, you choose to let your body get to that point of being overweight, hurting muscles and joints. You chose that lifestyle, it’s up to you to change it to be honoring God. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20, 1 Timothy 4:8)
- Humble yourself daily. Don’t think less of yourself, think of yourself less. You know this saying, it’s not about you, it’s about God, it’s about others. Don’t do something for others because you want to be recognized or you want to be given the accolade, do unto others as you want to be done to you. Think LESS of yourself, and MORE of others as you prepare for the day. (Philippians 2:3-5, Micah 6:8)
- Seek and Serve the Lord your God. This comes full circle to number 1. Seek and Serve GOD first in all you do. His promise is for you to have eternal life abundantly. When you serve the Lord, you serve him by your actions, by your words, by your heart. A pure heart for God reaps the benefits through Jesus Christ who did the ultimate sacrificial love for you to have a life forever with your Heavenly Father. (Colossians 3:23, John 12:26)
These are just a few points for you to study and this will help you find the true heart and soul of who God desires you to be. If you are carrying a burden or struggling with someone that has wronged you, release it to God and let God take care of you. Go under His wings and let Him protect you. If you have wronged another, make it right. Be a Woman of Love. If you want to disappear or you want to be absent without official leave, remember this, you don’t need the world’s approval to go be “AWOL” for Christ! He is with you through it all!
AWOL for Christ. A Woman of Love.
Love and Hugs! Jesus Strong ❤